Saturday, October 10, 2009

Reflection

Well, I'm back.
I've had a pretty busy summer, promoting the new album, "Wondering Where the Rush Has Gone". At the end of the summer, I felt pretty burned out and was feeling the wear of what felt like two and a half straight years of making and promoting records.
And in fact that was essentially the truth. I went in to the studio to record "In Transit" in July '07 and then released it in Nov '07. We promoted that for 8 months and then I began writing for the new record, hitting the studio on October '08, a year ago next week to be exact. We released the new CD in June and toured through the summer to promote it. And the fact is, I am proud of the hard work that was done and very proud of the albums themselves. But I have to admit that I had hoped my career would be in better shape than it is now. I've been hard at it for close to 8 years and don't feel that I've made as many advances as I wish I could have by now.
So I needed to take some time to reflect and decide what my priorities are. Which is what I've done this fall.
I've realized that I really haven't been enjoying music for some time now. That was a shocking realization. I needed to find a way to change that. I needed to start having fun playing music again. I may not have direct control over the success of my career but I do have control over doing what I enjoy.
Ironically, as soon as I came to the decision that I wanted to start enjoying music, I did start enjoying it and I've also had some great successes...
I'm off to perform an official showcase at the Ontario Council of Folk Festivals next month. It's a great opportunity for me to showcase my new songs in front of festival programmer from across Canada and the world.
I really believe the material on the new CD is ideal for the folk festival circuit, a world I've really been trying to break in to.
My hope is that next summer, I'll be playing each week at another folk festival...
Fingers crossed.

No comments: